The Bell Rock Lighthouse
The Bell Rock Lighthouse, off the coast of Angus, Scotland, is the world's oldest surviving sea-washed lighthouse. It was built between 1807 and 1810 by Robert Stevenson.
The lighthouse is built on a rock 11 miles from the coast, which is flooded twice a day by 16 feet of water. It is 35 metres tall, with a light that is visible from 56 km inland.
The Lighthouse has been described as one of Seven Wonders of the Industrial World. It has been an inspiration to members of the Miller family for generations.
“By east of the Isle of May, twelve miles from all land in the German Seas, lyes a great hidden rock, called Inchcape, very dangerous for navigators, because it is overflowed every tide. It is reported in old times, upon the saide rocke there was a bell, fixed upon a tree or timber, which rang continually, being moved by the sea, giving notice to the saylers of the danger. This bell or clocke was put there and maintained by the Abbot of Aberbrothock, and being taken down by a sea pirate, a yeare thereafter he perished upon the rocke, with ship and goodes, in the righteous judgment of God.”
Attributed to John Monypenny (1633)